Skip to main content
Our History at Inn at Taughannock Falls Hotels in Ithaca, New York

150 Years of Hotel History

The Inn at Taughannock Falls offers twenty-four accommodations that expand across four separate buildings with no elevators and are no taller than two stories. Our historic Ithaca hotel has created the perfect balance of relaxation and culinary delights for every traveler.

Inn at Taughannock Falls -

Originally, this area was settled by Native Americans; unclear if the tribe were the Taughannock or Cayuga tribe. Their sacred burial grounds are protected and still kept secret to this day. Settled by the first white person, the Goodwyn brothers, in 1794, others soon followed, attracted by the prosperity the Erie Canal delivered starting in 1825 as an economic boom to the area and the access to deliver goods to New York City.

Inn at Taughannock Falls - 1873

John and Amelia Jones, wealthy residents of Philadelphia, purchased this property. John owned a wallpaper manufacturing company and completed the construction of his private summer home in 1873 with the intent of enjoying Cayuga Lake in the summer while he pursued his passion for breeding racehorses. Looking out our dining room window at the park across the street, you can still see the oval lawn reminiscent of the family's private horse-racing track.

Inn at Taughannock Falls – 1925

Many original Jones furnishings were imported from England and Italy and remain in the Victorian Inn today. On either end of the second-floor hallway are two magnificent original Tiffany chandeliers, lavish antiques, and massive Eastlake mirrors in numerous rooms. The Jones estate was 800 acres and included the 215-foot waterfall, and his land stretched down the west side of Cayuga Lake. On April 10, 1925, Mr. Jones sold most of his estate to the state of New York and helped create the Taughannock Falls State Park, one of the most beautiful State Parks in the Finger Lakes area.

Inn at Taughannock Falls – 1945 - 2016

Widow Amelia Jones sold the estate to Merritt and Maude Agard in 1945. Soon after, on May 16, 1946, the Agards opened this home as the Taughannock Farms Inn, a country restaurant, and rented rooms. It was operated by three generations of the Agard family and passed on to their granddaughter, Nancy Agard, who married Keith Legrand.

Inn at Taughannock Falls – 1981

One of the new owners was a graduate of Ithaca College and knew the hotel very well. He enjoyed his graduation dinner in the Jones room in 1981. Recognizing the rare opportunity to reinvent this property and invite others to enjoy this spectacular setting. They changed the name of the Taughannock Farms Inn to The Inn at Taughannock Falls.

Inn at Taughannock Falls – 2021

Over the past five years, substantial investments have been made to evolve this property into a luxury boutique hotel and casual fine dining restaurant. All four buildings on the 12-acre campus have been extensively renovated. In 2021, a dedicated wedding garden called "Enchantment" opened to accommodate summer events for up to 300 people in a Gatsby-like setting.
Book Your Stay